Known around the world, the main symbol of Puerto Vallarta, the temple of the Parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe, celebrated 91 years on October 12, 2012.
Its construction is due to the dedication of the temple and parish priest Don Rafael Parra Castillo, who was able to combine the efforts of his flock, which over the years has become one of the most visited and photographed by tourists who come to our city.
Inside house works of art as the paintings that decorate the dome of the temple by the painter Daniel Lechon. The "Via Cruxis" around its inner walls, the pulpit, the confessional and the altar rail railing carved with precious wood by Mr. Martiniano Ramirez, the ancient altar of marble.
And an outstanding image of Our Lady of Guadalupe that was created by the artist Ignacio Ramirez, a true copy and that was played with the original sacred is in the Basilica in Mexico City.
The design of the tower and the crown was presbyter own design Parra Castillo, today the main icon of our city. That's not as erroneously tells, a replica of the crown used by Empress Carlota, because their nest in the nobility only allowed to wear a tiara of Empress.
By tradition and devotion on December 12 come to the parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe to celebrate thousands of pilgrims to the Virgin of Tepeyac, attending the festival and strangers.
History of the Parish
The tower of the parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe has become the worldwide symbol identifying the charm of Puerto Vallarta. Not far from the sea and at the foot of the mountain that shelters the village, his poise stands on the red roofs, cobblestone streets and bougainvillea patches of green, gold cups, rubber and palm. The chimes of the clock indicate the pulse of life Vallarta and the ringing of their bells celebrates solemnity, mourning and weeping brings crowds, that in the December festivities, the surrounding streets become true human rivers.
It is commonly accepted that Puerto Vallarta was founded in 1851 by Don Guadalupe Sanchez, who came to this place with his family on December 12, from Cihuatlán, Jalisco. The new village was named Puerto Las Peñas de Santa Maria de Guadalupe, as might be expected from the accumulation of coincidences that occurred around the foundation and alluding to the Virgin of Guadalupe. The name of the founder, the day of his arrival, his devotion to the Virgin of Tepeyac, and even their alleged ancient chapel dedicated to her on this site. The Congress of Jalisco renamed to Puerto Vallarta in 1918.
First belonging to the diocese of Guadalajara, the Puerto de las Peñas became part of Tepic when this seat was created in 1891. Al was in the territory of the parish of Talpa, then went to San Sebastian del Oeste, becoming parish in 1921. At that time also included part of the neighboring municipality of Bahia de Banderas, Nayarit. In 1974 it fell to single municipality of Puerto Vallarta. Finally, the creation of new parishes in 1975 the left of its current size, covering the early settlement of the Port of penalties.
The patron of the parish is St. Joseph and Our Lady of Guadalupe parish church the holder. For residents solemn vow, issued in 1926, the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in June, was instituted as the next most important parish celebration.
From 1921 to date, the parish of Guadalupe has been administered by seven pastors: P. Francisco Ayala (1921-1926), P. Jose Ramirez (1929-1932), P. Luis Robles (1932-1940), P. Rafael Parra (1942-1966), P. Francisco Antonio Aldana (1967-1979), P. Jesus Meda (1979-1982) and P. Luis Ramirez (1982).
When the foundations desplantar began in 1903, and had an "old chapel under the same invocation of Our Lady of Guadalupe", it probably founded by Father Sabino Viruete on April 15, 1883. By the P. Francisco Ayala in 1915 convinced the neighbors that it was better to make a temple larger than projected, so it was demolished what had already built, became deeper ditches and more robust foundation. In 1917 he completed the foundation of the porch and moved on the elevation of the pillars and walls. By December 1920 he had incurred in building 26,648.41 pesos, which was not yet at the level "of the category of the People". In 1921, when he became the parish church, still running the "old chapel", which was surrounded by new walls and scaffolding work.
Construction of the temple began in the east, along the hill, to build first the apse, chancel and chapels annexed, where required needs to have a place where they could roofing held divine services. In 1926 the bell was blessed, "Eucharist" and progressed at a good pace, the work, when suddenly suspended, due to the persecution that arose throughout the country against the Church.
Amainada Once the acute phase of conflict, work started again in 1929. It began in 1930 the dome. In the same year as electricity became available in the early hours of the night. But for 1937, "is not yet built the roof and pavement lack much, getting so much dust." By not having proper place, baptisms were administered in the sacristy.
During the forties, the entire building was completed, except for the towers. On October 27, 1946 we acquired a portable power plant and movie projector for catechism classes. The choir premiered on December 12, 1951, along with a Hammond organ and although P. Rafael Parra made every effort to finish the main tower of the same date, but could not do so until 1952. The crown was made in 1963. Finally, the P. Luis Ramirez concluded the facade in 1987, adding the side turrets and links to the central tower. Similarly, the north facade libero adventitious constructions, formed the atrium and overhauled the parish.
- Open Invitation To The Riviera Nayarit’s Electric Beach Festival - 2015-03-27
- San Pancho Attracts World-Renowned Artists - 2015-03-26
- Jalisco’s Artisans Celebrate Their Day - 2015-03-26
- #RivieraNayaritExtremo Hit The List Of Trending Topics - 2015-03-25
- The Stars Continue To Shine In The Riviera Nayarit - 2015-03-23